An internship in the Education Department is a comprehensive, and well-rounded experience. The goal of the Education Internship is to help you begin to build a foundation for a career in marine education and/or working with marine mammals. Our education programs have enormous potential to influence public attitudes and actions and to directly affect the health and well-being of the environment. We accomplish this through a variety of programs from daily narrations during dolphin sessions to our week-long DolphinLabs. Education interns have the opportunity to observe college accredited seminars and have access to a vast library of professional journal articles on a broad range of topics as well as to updates on global marine mammal issues. Education interns build public speaking skills and interact daily with visitors of all ages.
While Education interns do not work directly with our dolphins, there is ample opportunity to talk directly with the public by conducting educational presentations and informally answer guests’ questions lagoon-side.
Responsibilities vary depending on the program schedule during your internship. Specific job duties may include (but are not limited to):
- Observe and present public education programs such as our daily live dolphin presentations and theater workshops
- Answer questions from guests on the grounds
- Help with educational tours around the facility
- Assist education staff members at school and community outreach events
- Assist DolphinLab coordinators with off-site activities, dolphin observation time, and classroom seminars
- Assist Education staff with daily department responsibilities such as preparing for education programs and the daily schedule
- Assist with our Dolphin Day Camp program including scavenger hunts, facilitating activities, and demonstrations with the animals.
Throughout your internship you will complete various assigned reading, observe seminars, and maintain a daily journal. In addition, you will set specific goals for your internship that will both benefit the Education Department and enhance your experience.
All interns also provide regular support to all areas of operations through departmental crossover and weekly participation in the Volunteer Resource Pool. By participating in all departments, our interns develop skills that can be used in multiple employment settings.